If you’re getting ready to hang with the fam for the holiday season, these 5 tips will help you keep your cool, no matter who you encounter.
- Acceptance – accept yourself exactly as you are, right now, warts and all. With self acceptance there is no need to justify, explain or prove yourself to anyone. And when you accept others (even if you don’t agree with them) there’s no need to convince or convert them to your ways of thinking. You can be different side by side.
- Compassion – everyone has different levels of awareness, beliefs & worldviews shaped by their life experiences. If you can truly accept others as they are, you don’t need to change anyone or make them wrong. You might even step back and see the bigger picture for more understanding of where they’re at.
- Not taking things personally – when you understand people are living inside their own bubble of beliefs, you don’t need to take it on. What they say is more about them than you. So stand your ground and don’t let them ruffle your feathers. Even if someone totally freaks out at you, stand your ground and do your best to stay calm and respectful. This makes it even more obvious it’s their issue, not yours.
- Connect with your own power – take a moment to breathe deeply and feel connected with the Earth to stay grounded in your own power. So much conflict stems from people trying to overpower, justify, or prove themselves better than others. When you stay grounded in yourself, there is no need to explain or prove anything to anyone. If you’re being tested, take a moment to draw energy up from the earth through your feet to stay grounded in your own space. If you know you’re going to encounter someone really challenging, visualise a bubble of light around you, and know you are safe and protected.
- Lighten up – people get too serious! Remember it’s the festive season and you can look back in 5 years and laugh, so why not laugh now? Bring some playfulness into the space. Laughter is connecting and lifts everyone’s spirits, so prepare yourself with a few jokes or funny stories. Even if the jokes are bad people will laugh. It helps keep things in perspective.
Like my quirky video below… where I wrapped myself in fairylights and hyperventilated into a paper bag.
It’s only 90 seconds long, give it a whirl!
And a BONUS TIP – keep your boundaries strong. If someone is being particularly offensive or disrespectful, you don’t need to put up with it nor enter an argument. Take a deep breath and say: “I don’t like the way you’re talking to me.” And walk away. Leave them to stew in their own drama and don’t get messed up in it. Go outside for a walk if you need to regroup.
Life’s too short to get tangled up in other people’s stuff. That said, you can still have empathy and compassion for them. To diffuse the situation you could say, “I can hear this issue is important to you, and I see things differently, so how about we agree to disagree on this one? I really don’t feel like arguing today.”
It’s really powerful to stand your ground like this, without making anyone wrong. Remember, lighten it up. Change the topic. Breathe deeply, shine your light and know you are good enough just as you are.
On that note, would you like to simplify and focus your energy in 2018 for more ease, flow and replenishment?
After christmas, I’ll be sharing a ritual to release 2017, and a ‘Priestess Plan’ so you can vision and start to plan the year ahead. This year is about simplicity, potency and beauty, and I’d love to share the Priestess Plan with you when it’s ready.
It will be free to members of the Blossoming Woman Tribe, which is free to join HERE.
Wishing you an enjoyable festive season and I’ll connect with you again soon!
PS do you have any last-minute things to do before the end of the year? Loose ends to tie up? Jobs to finish? A room to tidy up? Here’s to simplifying and having a more beautiful 2018.